Keeping your mouth clean includes always making sure it is free of debris, plaque buildup, bacteria or any other substances that can plague your smile. Only with a clean smile can you hope to have the oral health you desire. However, if your mouth is constantly dry and you are suffering from dry mouth, which is also known as xerostomia, you may be at an increased risk for several oral health ailments. Dry mouth can cause several oral health issues. To help protect your smile from the negative effects of dry mouth, it is important that you know how it occurs and what you can do to avoid it:
– To help lower your risk of dry mouth, always protect your smile against the risks that can cause it. One of the most common risks of dry mouth is from medications.
– Risks associated with dry mouth include gum disease and tooth decay.
– Dry mouth is often present when you are not producing enough saliva in your mouth. This can cause a severe downturn in your oral health because saliva is beneficial for neutralizing harmful acids and debris on your teeth and gums.
– Dry mouth can be caused by a rare autoimmune disease known as Sjogren’s syndrome.
– To help prevent and protect against dry mouth, try chewing sugarless gum after meals and eating crunchy foods that are high in water.
To determine the exact cause of your dry mouth, visit our dentist as needed. If you would like an oral exam for dry mouth treatment from Dr. Ronald Hauptman or Dr. Bahar Rowhani, we invite you to contact our practice at 703-241-0666. Our dentists in Falls Church, Virginia, can help keep your smile healthy and happy.